Thursday, June 30, 2011

Happy Birthday, America!

 I've very proud of the fact (and somewhat saddened at the same time) that I'm one of the few people my age that still will stand at a parade with my hand over my heart when the American Flag passes by.  Also, I'm one of the few who still instructs their children on why we do this.  Something else....coming from a military family, I still get chills up and down my body during the National Anthem and sometimes....I cry.  I wanted to serve our country in the Armed Forces but due to injuries in my knees and back, I was not able to.  Instead, i serve our country by serving its people...as a Pastor.  Take a moment and listen to this:



How many of us stop at Patriotic Functions and think about where our true freedom comes from?....who it is that allows us to live how we live?  Yes, it is largely in part due to the acts of our brave men and women in uniform.  However, there is one man who wore no uniform, had no protective armor and still willingly walked into death's lare on our behalf...to bring us eternal freedom.  This coming Monday, we'll say "Happy Independence Day!"  Yes, it's a time to remember what happened here 235 years ago.  But, it should also be a time to remember what happened somewhere else almost 2,000 years ago.  In closing, let me ask you this...which is your statue of liberty?  The lady in New York Harbor?...or the Cross On Golgotha?

Yes, indeed, the Cross Is My Statue Of Liberty!!!  
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMERICA!

No comments:

Post a Comment